Thursday, September 29, 2011

How to count to ten on one hand!

Here is a blogpost in which I try to be informative. Hopefully you learn something. If you don't, I apologize. I'm a little off today cause I can't seem to buy the November 2011 issue of Q Magazine with Muse on the cover. It's in honor of their 25th anniversary, so they have 25 different issues for November, each issue with a special on the band that's on the cover. Or maybe it's 25 stories on 25 different bands. I forget. But it doesn't matter cause it's not like I'll be able to buy it.

This isn't really the cover of said magazine. Cause I couldn't find it. The epicosity level of this picture though is far greater than the epicosity of the cover I couldn't find. Unless this is actually an excerpt from said magazine which would be AWESOME.

Muse aside, I'm actually listening to K-pop right now. If you want some Cpop, here you go. Secretly, this song is really catchy. At least I think it is.

Also can I just say it should not take five hours to do my laundry. Yesterday when I dropped it off for the laundry peoples to clean it at 10, I figured it would definetly be done by 2, especially since there were only like 3 other baskets of laundry. Well, it wasn't done at 3 when I went. So when I went back at five, my clothes were really warm but also wet, and they all smell weird. Like they're burnt or something. D:

Oh my word I meant for this to be INFORMATIVE.

I think I have a right to say Chinese is one of the hardest classes I have ever taken (except a class I took on John Milton. Yikes dudeman. I think I had a nightmare about it a few nights ago actually). It's one thing to learn a language and be like "oh yea, Buch in German means book. That's easy." Chinese is... cool to learn. But very difficult. To help you fully comprehend my pain, I've compiled a two lists. 

Things I like about Chinese
  • Words don't have a gender. So in German you would have different endings or whatever if a word was masculine, or feminine, or neuter (der die das). Chinese doesn't have that (THANK GOD). Sometimes, when I re-remember Latin, I want to fall into a coma.
  • Verbs don't change. So if I were to say "you go", "ni qu" (I'm not gonna bother putting in tone marks, but they have tones, just be aware.) "I go"= "wo qu" "she/he goes"= "Ta qu". I forget what the word for they is, but you'd still us "qu". It never changes.
  • "Ta". It means "she" and it means "he". In written form it's not confusing, but I think this is nice.
  • Sentence structure is simple. And they don't have a lot of filler words like "of" or "an" or "the". "Ni hao" literally means "You good". "Wo qu fandian ma?" literally means "You go restaurant?"

Things that are horrible about Chinese
  • So first, you learn the word in pinyin (written form). Then you learn its meaning. Then you learn its character. Japanese also has a lot of characters, but if you know at least 1000 you can read a paper easy. Korean has 26 characters. Chinese? Well you need to know at least 6000 characters to read a newspaper. It's said that there are over 80,000 Chinese characters, but many of them are rarely used. What's even more difficult is the amount of strokes in some of the characters. Egh.
  • Tones. Are. Awful. "ma" with a dipping tone means horse, while "ma" with the same high tone means mom. I would like to take this chance to mention that apparently there's like 8 tones in Thai. I will never learn Thai. Ever.
  • The way English speakers would pronounce some things in English, isn't the same in Mandarin. zh=j, q=ch, r=sh (although to be perfectly honest I'm pretty sure they pronounce the r differently everytime they use it. Sometimes it sounds like "shr" other times "r" or just "sh". I don't understand.) c=ts, x=sh, er= sounds like the "ar" in a pirate-y "argh!", yi=ee (as in eek), wanr= the n is silent so it sounds like you're trying to say "water" without the "te" in it. 
  • Remember earlier how I mentioned that "book" in German is "Buch"? Well, there are practically no words in Chinese that sound like English... except for tea which is "Cha", and coffee which is "Kafei".

Now for another informative section, in which I will tell you how to count to ten in Mandarin. Not only in Mandarin, but also with ONE HAND. WHOA.

一 yī (one)
二 èr (two)
三 sān (three)
四 sì (four)
五 wǔ (five)
六 liù (six)
七 qī (seven)
八 bā (eight)
九 jiǔ (nine)
十 shí (ten)

You can do "3" the way it is in the picture, but another way is by making a sort of "ok" sign by bringing your thumb and pointer finger together, creating a circle, but leaving the three other fingers up.


I was really excited, because the day we learned how to count up to ten on one hand, me and Guiliani (another girl in my group) went to Pacman to get dumplings. Well we had to pay and I had given the guy 10 RMB but he didn't know how much my food was, so I excitedly made the sign for "8" with my hand, but like an IDIOT I said it in English. I was so mad at myself. I mean he understood me, but I keep saying things in English when I can just as easily say them in Mandarin.

Well, that's it for now. Next week is the national holiday, so I have no idea when I'll be posting things yet. I will also be going to Xian to see the Terracotta Army. We're taking a 20 hour sleeper train ride, cause it's up by Beijing. We'll only have a day and a half there, then have to take the 20 hour sleeper back, but will it be worth it? YES. 

TOTALLY.
WORTH IT.


No comments:

Post a Comment