Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Embrace Your Inner Geek/Dork/Nerd

There comes a time in every person's life... when this one question crosses his/her mind.

What in the crap do people think of me.

With that in mind, I have this backpack I bought in Beijing, China.

My friend Guiliani took this when we were in Beijing. You have every right to be jealous.

By backpack, I mean "Awesome-backpack-that-will-never-be-as-awesome-as-your-lowly-boring-backpack-that-probably-didn't-cost-you-a-measly-8-dollars-like-mine-did. Whatchya gonna do?! Nothing! Cause your backpack will never be this cool EVERRRRR."

Lately, when I'm walking about Houghton, I keep having conversations that go somewhat like this with passing students/faculty:

Nameless stranger: "Aaww your backpack is so cute?"
Me: "Oh thanks! You love Miyazaki's movies too?"
Potential new BFFL: "Who's that?"
Me: "My Neighbor Totoro? He made it. My backpack is Totoro."
Newfound Enemy: "What's a Totoro?"

And that's where the conversation ends.

I'm realizing... I'm very lucky to have found the friends I've found who do like Totoro, and other dorky things. My friend Rachel gave me a pin a week ago whose logo is from the Watchmen.

Here is visual aid for the less fortunate e.g. you.
Someone saw it and was like:

Stranger: "Cute pin!"
Me: "Oh you've seen/read the Watchmen?"
Stranger: "The what?"
Me: "The Watchmen... this isn't a normal smiley face, there's blood on it."
Yet another enemy who is now staring at me strangely: "Oh...."

I feel like, deep in the recesses of everyone's brains, they're probably thinking "You know, there's someone out there for all of us. I'm sure Brittany will find someone. Someday."

I DON'T NEED YOUR PITY. JUST BE MORE GEEKILY AWARE PEOPLE. GO WATCH AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER OR SOMETHING.

EXPAND YOUR IMAGINATION.

No comments:

Post a Comment